Saturday, December 6, 2008

Weekly happenings

Boy has this been some week. We started out by finishing up out mini unit on Thanksgiving. We only did it for a week and really didn't do all that much in it but it was fun and the kids and I learned alot about thanksgiving. We then started some initial work on a Christmas unit that I am sort of throwing together as we go. The history Channel has a great video on the history of Christmas. I am gathering links and such so I can share all I have found. I am really going to try and make it fun.

Tuesday brought my Birthday. I am officially 33 yrs old. I don't really feel old but I do feel like certain things aren't within my capabilities anymore. Or maybe that is my mind playing tricks on me. I do know that I have outgrown a few things say like judging others. Ok I'm not perfect at it but to a big extent I no longer find myself judging someone when a friend tells me about said someone and what they did. I now think to myself what is the other side of that story? I had been doing this for a bit now. We did a very low key Birthday. Well a couple of months ago Dh felt inclined to get me a dachshund and two days later another one. They were to be my Birthday present. Let me say I really really enjoy these little guys. Honestly until they came I considered myself a cat person. I mean cats aren't all over you all the time, they don't slobber on you. they generally don't scare anyone either or hurt them in any real way or at least none of the cats I have had. You are on your own with any you have had. We have had numerous animals throughout our marriage and with that came a few dogs. They all always loved Dh and then loved Colin. None of them seemed to love me, they liked me sure. More like they put up with me. Anyway these guys genuinely seem so happy to see me and love on me that they officially have me wrapped around their fingers (or would that be toes? )Are you ready for the cuteness if not turn away now this is a warning of severe cuteness. Here are my dogs Sophie and Snoopy.




Sickening isn't it how cute they are?

Wednesday Austin got his braces installed. Is it installed or just on? I never had braces so I don't know. He has had a heck of a time refiguring out how to eat. We have a pet peeve about seeing people chew their food. During dinner I saw all of Austin's food and so I asked him to please try to chew with his mouth closed. He ended up in tears. I officially felt like a crumb . It was not my intent to hurt his feelings but he is aware of our rules and when they don't follow I can be rather unnice especially since he is almost 13 I feel he knows better and I expect more from him.

Thursday Dh had his finger amputated. More on that on my well spouse blog.

Friday we had to go to co-op. I really didn't want to as my emotions were all wrought. I felt like I would spring into tears at an inopportune time and I did. Luckily I have a very good friend there who has such a big heart. She prayed with me and I was comforted and inspired and very impressed. I don't come from a big religious family. As a matter of fact I come from a family that believes that whatever you do in church you can do at home just as well. It used to sound like a good theory but since I have been going to church more lately I find that it doesn't work because those people don't do it at home its just said. kwim? I really felt better and really really appreciate my friend. One day I hope I can return the favor or perhaps spread a bit of Karma by praying for someone else in need. Co-op went great. The kids got to launch their rockets (mini rockets). They also got to meet a detective and he talked about his job and gave all the kids a miniature pin. It is a replica of the shield they carry. They also got to work with the science of architecture. They formed groups and built a building out of marshmallows and spaghetti. They had a blast.

How was your week?

Vanessa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are so freakin' cute! You need to put mini santa hats on them and use that as your Christmas card. ;)

randi said...

33? You are a kid! Yikes, I am 9 years older than you. geez...

Happy birthday, sweet friend. I am really glad to be getting to know you!

Vanessa said...

Kathy,
Chris got them some but they really don't like them. They won't stay still long enough to have pictures taken with them they insist on trying to chew them off instead. LOL. I love the idea though. Perhaps I will try .
Vanessa

Vanessa said...

Randi,
Honestly you don't look 9 yrs older. I too am very glad to be getting to know you. Someone is watching over me for sure. Thanks for the Bday wishes.
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about dh's finger. :( It's been such a battle for you all. We won't be too far behind you regarding braces...Liam needs a palate expander first and then braces. Sigh.

Hugs...we need to get the boys together. Q's nagging.

Damama T said...

Well Happy belated birthday! Mine was on 11/11 and I turned 52. Believe me, there will be lots more things you can't seem to do anymore in 19 more years! LOL!

Those puppies are so cute! Welcome to Dogville! LOL!

Hope that by now Austin has adjusted to his braces enough that he can eat properly. That'd make me crazy, too. Well, crazier! ;o)