Monday, December 1, 2008

Advent fun

I am originally from Germany. I was born there and spent the first 10 yrs of my life there. My mother married and American when I was 2 and 8 yrs later he wanted to go home. So we went. I knew a handful of American words (that's what I still call them most times, its weird). I had to have special tutors and my clothes were not up to standards. Us German Frauleins were still wearing puffy skirts with colored stockings and knitted sweaters. The American girls wore jeans and t-shirts. Another newbie for me was Thanksgiving, what was this strange holiday? And of course no one knew what an Advent Calendar was or at least in the way I was used to. Now I won't say my mom was all creative and stuff but each year my sister and I would get an Advent Calendar. You can now buy them in most stores. You know the ones with the chocolates in them?

In the yrs past this great thing has caught on here. I was so happy to have found a great link for an advent calendar that has all sorts of fun stuff. There is a link for every day till Christmas and on each day there are games, crafts, recipes, history and all sorts of fun that I would probably never be able to do all of but I can do some and record the rest for next yr although I may find something else.

http://homeschooling.about.com/cs/unitssubjhol/a/advent125.htm

We are going to do these things. I'm not sure what category they will all fit into but that is okay I am just going to simplify by saying it's a unit study. There all done in the hs field, lol. Each of the kids will get to pick something each and then I will get to pick at least one. That will have us doing four things on our Unit (like how I did that???) every day. I hope to share pictures and stuff.

Our tree is up and there is snow that is sticking to the ground or at least the roof tops. We have turkey, candied yams and green bean casserole for leftovers. I have put together two deer and a spiral tree to put in our yard. Dh got Santa out and put him on our porch he speaks and sings in American English and Spanish. Most of the decorations are up. We had a great four day weekend, how about you?

Vanessa

6 comments:

Amazing_Grace said...

Oh how I would have loved to have grown up in Germany! I bet you have great memories!

I did a Printable Advent Chain that you might like:
http://www.orgsites.com/md/church-crafts-and-activities/2008PrintableAdventChain.pdf

Print out pattern on regular paper for students to color or print out on colored paper. Have students cut into strips. Build your paper chain stapling the strips with a stapler in the correct order. Each day you tear off a piece of the chain that corresponds to the date and do the activity. Before you know it, it will be Christmas day!

Vanessa said...

Thanks Grace
I will check this out.
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

I would enjoy hearing what the kids pick each day and what you all came up with on your own with these ideas. We've done the advent calendar for years and I remember watching an old christmas movie - it may be called The Christmas Box with Richard Thomas from The Waltons where he found an old advent calendar box - it was fabulous and I wanted one so bad.



Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Vanessa said...

Kathy,
Sounds like a neat old movie.
thank you for all the bday wishes.
Vanessa

Mrs. Darling said...

Did I miss you birthday? Well belated greetings to you.

I love traditions!!

Vanessa said...

Mrs. D.
My bday was on the 2nd. It was very laid back and thank you verry much for the greeting.
Vanessa