Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ameritowne- Hands on lessons for "free enterprise"


Friday sent us to Denver for the first of two training sessions for Ameritowne. Now if you haven't heard of Ameritowne it is a phenomenal "hands on " lesson in free enterprise. We did International towne last year and the kids had a blast so now we will venture in Ameritowne.

You can get more info about these events and if there are some in your area here. We got up and left the house about 7 am. We were unable to get the materials before the training session so when we got there we had to fill out job applications and fill out our checks and registers. We turned those in and then came the speeches for mayor and judge from the running mates. It was so neat these kids had truly worked on these speeches and it showed. There were about 5 kids up for each position in suits to boot. It was fun. The running kids all sat down and groups formed around them at which point we got paper and colored markers to make posters for our running mate. WE lucked out that the guy we were going to vote for, for mayor, sat with us so making the posters was fun. One of the parents gave a finance presentation and we had a general election. We gave our ballots and left. I did want to get home around a decent hour. Next week we are to come back and the boys will find out what their job is and get training among other things. I am so excited about it all and the kids seem to be as well. I got this huge binder that is a complete lesson plan for this.


The boys making campaign posters for our Candidate "David"

Austin came up with "David is Haven" Poster. Oh and if you look close at Colin you can see his cheek has a scrape. This is from him falling on the ice the day before while ice skating with friends.

The boys make friends


Its funny because just the other day I was reading a blog and ti was talking about getting homeschool burnout. And it hit me I was in a rut and had burnt out and needed something to spark my interest and the boys too. I think going to Ameritowne is doing just that. I am going to do the lessons to get the boys ready and hopefully I will have enough time. I can't wait to share some of it with you guys.

Oh and share if you want what inspires you to keep going when your homeschool meter has run out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad they are liking Ameritowne, when is your next session and main date?
When I get homeschool burnout -we head for the mountains or the Springs for eating out and snacking on crap, I mean junk. ;) I decided today we would just work on computer line drawings and home made movies -the boys downloaded a program from (I have to ask Alex - I'm drawing a blank right now) but it had to do with stick figure animation - it was very cool to see their creativity and the way their minds at work. We then went on a big walk and enjoyed the 70 degree temps.
tomorrow I go pick out the paint for the outside of the rental - (we're hiring someone to paint it) Thank Goodness!

Vanessa said...

Our next training is Friday the 27th and the main date is March 5th.
I am unsure of if I am going to this friday's training or not. I suppose I will see which way the wind blows that day. LOL.
I am so undecisive.
Be sure to let me know of the program you downloaded, I have an inkling my boys may enjoy that one too. Im thinking austin would like it.
Sounds like you are almost done with that rental thank goodness right?
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

This is great! I think your right Field trips and learning experiences can really spice up and lift up our homeschool, how fun!

angela

Amy said...

Hi Vanessa,
This sounds so fun. I want to hear what else they get to do and learn. Burn out?? What is that? I need to think about what I do. I will get back to you on that one!