Friday, February 27, 2009

More training

Yesterday I woke up with flu/cold like symptoms. I pressed on. This morning I woke up feeling even worse. With plans of going to Denver for another Ameritowne training looming I again pressed on. I was mostly in a daze and on auto-pilot for most of the day. We got to the training late , of course. The boys learned their jobs and were then directed towards their group. All the children were divided among volunteer mom's and dad's each with a different area to teach. The idea is that the kids all have jobs that run a different part of town. There are many here are a few Towne Hall, T.V. station, snack shop, Bank, Medical Center and newspaper among a few others. At the bare minimum 60 kids participate in this event. There are generally two trainings and then the actual towne. So I suppose you want to know now what the boys will be . OH ok then. drumroll please.

Austin is in sales at the snack shop
Colin is an accountant at the college
Conner is a Community Relations Director at the towne hall

Austin's job entails offering refreshments to hungry and thirsty citizens.Quality control is important because customers expect to get what they ordered. Proper hygiene is of utmost importance. Colin keep writing checks for business expenses, keeping a register sheet and making deposits as well as recording them. Conner's job responsibility is to collect all donations for the six Young Ameritowne Non-profits. You will record all donations and announce amounts at close of business day. Also responsible for Quality Service Survey and report of.

Conner's title just cracks me up. All the kids were like your a what? It was so over their heads. Colin had a great time in training. All I kept hearing was and then I had to subtract all this money and did you know I had to pay the photographer $25 for the yearbook? He was incredibly animated, turns out he likes his job so far. Conner still is unsure of what his job entails but we know it will be customer service. Austin was also in Customer service. So I helped the parents out while we taught the kids about good customer service and advertising. I didn't really help all that much , seems my symptoms were getting the better of me.

Conner and Austin in their group for customer service training

Colin is in another room with his group, this one all accountants for different area's of Ameritowne

This is the advertising signs the kids came up with.


The kids had a good time and learned some skills for their jobs and Ameritowne. Next week we will go to Ameritowne. I can't wait to tell you all about it. Bear with me as this is our first Ameritowne.





All the way home my poor aching (the flu like body ache, kwim?) body sniffed and sneezed and coughed wishing for a nice warm bath or bed. Two and a half hours later I pulled into our house thanking God for getting us there and me to a nice bed. So I did the bad mommy move and made dinner leftovers or whatever they could figure out on their own.

This one is just for fun, while getting their lunch we came upon a Nestle Toll House Cafe. Can you believe it? I had no idea they had these shops.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

V, What a yucky thing to have going on during that drive. Did you drive through any snow? We took that day off to play board games and go walking and Mason mentioned Denver getting snow. Can't wait to see how next week goes for the kids and you need to rest, rest, rest so you can be ready for it. You'll all have so much fun. I will be curious to hear which one was their favorite, A towne or I towne. I mentioned this to the boys last week of where you all were and they said, "I'm glad we're not doing A towne this year mom, but we really liked I towne" so we'll be sure and sign up for that again. Of course, I like them both. I've decided to start letting them pick after having them try them.
Rest and let me know if you'd like me to pick up the boys so you can have some down time to feel better - quicker

Vanessa said...

K, Love the new names btw LOL. Thank you I am feeling better the aching has gone away now so that is an imporvment. Now if I could get rid of the cough.
Yeah I do that too with the kids. After they have tried something its up to them if they want to do it again.
I am so sorry about last week. It's been a week. The boys just mentioned getting together let me know.
Vanessa

Mrs. Darling said...

Wow that looks like a wonderful opportunity for the kids. And a Nestles Cafe? Oh kill me now! I am so there!