Wednesday, March 25, 2009

extra lessons


It has been decided that we are taking spring break. I signed the boys up for Ice skating lessons, but Austin had other plans. He went to his friends house, well that meant it was just my two younger ones. We missed the first day but that's okay. Tomorrow is their last lesson and they are having fun and learning a few things along the way. They made friends with one of the boys who is quite a neat kid. I really enjoyed talking to him and it impresses me when young kids can talk to adults and actually hold a good conversation.


We got some tadpoles to add on to our science. Remember last year when I got those great pics of tadpoles of various lengths. It was so cool so I wanted to be able to see the process. I promise I will get pics of them and hopefully post them weekly. I had considered getting Praying mantis eggs but I just came across these tadpoles so it was decided besides metamorphosis is just cool to watch. Maybe one day I will actually get the eggs. and watch the process from the egg to frog. I am looking at some lapbook ideas covering metamorphosis and frogs. Hopefully it won't break the bank. Here are some links I found if you want to do something along these lines.


http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Frog_Lapbook.php


http://www.homeschoolhelperonline.com/lapbooks/frogs.htm


http://www.enchantedlearning.com/themes/frog.shtml


http://www.kiddyhouse.com/Themes/frogs/frogs.html


this one is geared to the classroom but still has some great stuff.

http://www.squidoo.com/FrogUnitStudy

Unfortunately spring has not shown up for spring break. Can you believe it? We instead get some chilly weather. We are supposed to get together with some friends to do a sort of cooking class with some pre-done dough. I think we were going to make doughnuts. Colin asked me on the way home today if we can make a pastry. How cool is that? He said he wanted to make a bear claw. Now I think that is a pastry. So it is off to find out just how hard this will be. I would like to make some soft pretzels (German style). I am sure you will soon find a post about this very soon.




2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey Vanessa,
We did tadpoles last year and we had to find home for our frogs when we moved here! Lots of fun. Two years ago we got ladybugs, butterflies and praying mantis eggs. All very fun. The kids loved the praying mantis, but they just hatched and then we had to let them go. The ladybugs were pretty cool, too. We were going to lapbook it all, but instead we just watched it! Thats about as hands on as we get!

Mrs. Darling said...

Enjoy your spring break. I just finished mine and nwo its back to the books.