Monday, March 30, 2009

Getting things done....finally

With our short break done we are back to the books. I am finally getting the Native American Unit done. Gesh I really dropped the ball on that one huh? Anyway we are going to do a review in the morning and an assessment in the afternoon. I think that way it's all fresh in their minds. I am going to buy time travelers history "early explorers". I have been looking at this product for some time and I really like all the hands on stuff. I think it will make it real for them. Unfortunately the one I have is the American Revolution and I really want to go chronologically. So it's off to find a copy at a decent price.

I got Conner's new math books. I ordered from christianbooks.com and it was all around pleasant experience. I went with Teaching Textbook in 5th grade. He will be working on this through the summer. He just finished his third lesson and has not missed a single number. I am so happy and no crying. Now I will send a thanks to God. I hope it continues and we have found a math that works for him. Colin informed me he would like to stick with Saxon. He is about to finish his second book with this math curriculum so if he likes it I will let him have it. I had asked him to think about it if he did want to try another curric, I guess thats my answer.

I am also excited as we just finished reading "Daniel Boone".Austin has somehow managed to be in the room to listen to me read several times. Until today it seemed coincidental, he would be eating or doing something in the kitchen. Today I knew, he sat down with chips and said "I'll sit here and listen till I finish my chips". Then he preceded to add in what happened in the last chapter as I did a small review. How funny huh? The boy who said I want to read on my own is now sneaking in to listen to me read. Trust me my heart sings and boy do I need to send out a big thank you to God for that one , huh? Anyway the story was nice and it sort of relates to our Native American unit since Shawnees and Iroquois are in it. I found the movie through Netflix (that place is becoming quite invaluable for school). So we will sometime this week be watching that. Conner is still deciding on what's next but our reading list is up top on the shelfari. It will be one of those. The boys thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

Well I got to run and put some bread in the oven to go with dinner(in the crock).

No comments: