Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Yes you can

For P.E. I generally just have the kids play outside. Then about 6 months ago they joined Karate so twice a week they went to practice. And a more recent addition would be ice skating which we have been doing almost weekly for two months now. Crazy huh? I am also considering a YMCA membership as I know there is alot that they can do in way of P.E. . Anyway.


Just a week ago the kids got their yellow belt. It was announced that they would be able to try and break boards and bricks. Well Monday was that day. All I heard all day was 'we needed to be ready to go' so they would be there on time to break the boards. I had them remind me about dinner very early and they even helped make it. They did their chores in a timely manner without too much fuss. They even asked if I needed help. (hmmm I should ask sensai if we can have board breaking day more often? of course then the magic will wear off)I had two choices

1. bring the camera

2. bring the camcorder

I brought the camera and the kids did a bit of Karate. Then the moment finally came. The class gathered by Sensai setting up. We watched a deomonstration on how to do it properly then we were off. At first only one hand went up for an attempt. Now Austin went first and of course after brittany (the youngest girl) went the two boys had to go. Surprised looks and amazed faces come to mind as each child managed to break the board.It was such a fantastic moment, one girl had been quiet all along when finally she got the courage. As she broke the board her eyes lit up and her mouth smiled in an astonished sort of way. I think that face was the best. Everyone was happy for her because by her expression just said it her shoulders rose and she had a more confident air. I think that type of parent moment is one of my fav's it is so good to see your kid or another kid in that switch from I can't to I can.

We stayed way over. Karate is held at our church there had been a birthday party so alot of people we knew saw the boys and their class break boards .I think it was the boys' favorite P.E. class by far. What do you do for P.E.
OOps it was late when I posted this. I meant to include these pic's

Sensai Matt chops a brick in half

Colin breaking his wood blocks made of Pine.

Austin mooved too fast for me to capture in the moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! Congrats to the boys! P.E. for us would be the reservoir, the Wii game, treadmill and/or elliptical every day, walking a 3 mile loop by our house every day (weather permitting), bike riding, kayaking will be here soon and playing with the dog constantly which involves a lot of running up and down the stairs

Damama T said...

Congratulations to your kids on their belts and boards. Karate is a wonderful thing if you have the right sensai. I'm glad you are getting some benefit out of it, too. Our sons' sensai required that they maintain their grades and follow all the rules at home. Failure to do either resulted in class-time consequences, too. I loved that man!