Thursday, July 17, 2008

Historic Savnnah

Ahhh ye ole streets. I simply adore old cobblestone or masonry. It's a sickness really. I mean think about how much it takes not to make brick buildings and stone walls. Now think back to a time when half the equipment wasn't motorized but simply your own sweat and tear, perhaps a bit of blood. At one time bricks were made by hand and to see a whole building made out of them is simply mind boggling. I ask How long did it take? What were these extraordinary laborers paid for all that work?


We walked around some of the historic district but since old brick and cobblestone didn't interest my children (ye jest surely how could they not???, no I don't need a life mine is just fine thank you) we only spent a few hours to indulge mom. Of course they didn't seem to mind going into the shops in hopes of getting something. We did end up at a candy store and it had a train running along the ceiling through the shop, it was so neat. The kids enjoyed picking candy while I marveled at the walls and floors and old time metal signs. We found the river and walked along and it looked as if a fest of some sort was getting ready.


We also found "Lady & Sons" and tried to grab lunch there but lunch at 9:30 at night did not seem appealing. I would have loved to go eat there even if it was expensive. We watch Paula Deen on Food Network all the time. Although she isn't my favorite I do enjoy her warmth and southern hospitality even if I can't bring myself to make the millions of thing she does that look oh so yummy but you can tell entirely that it is without a doubt fattening. Don't get me wrong I don't mind putting away calories and I love really good food. You know the kind where you just have to learn how to make that because it is simply marvelous? OK now I'm getting of the subject.


There are tours for everything. Ghost tours, historic tours, pirate tours, dolphin tour, culinary tour you name it they probably have it and then you have to choose how you want to travel by foot?, by horse drawn carriage? or trolley? And everything was incredibly expensive. The walking tour would have cost $70 for us 5. I thought OK I'm walking and I'm paying them for what ? to tell me about Savannah? Not to sound horrid but how much are they embellishing on and how did they come by the information? I mean I can walk up to a building and say this is so and so building built in whatever yr and so on. So while we sprung for the dolphin tour by Tybee Island we didn't do any of the tours in Savannah.


We had a great time though exploring all on our own.



Just look at that, where can you find this in Colorado? No where!

My Dh and Ds crossing the cutest bridge
Wonder if these were stables once upon a time?
Isn't this just stinking cute? It's a model at eye level on a pole. Very well made.
My boys find a little play area. Photo Op.

The streets of Savannah.
Look at this trolley. The rate was outragous.
Old Cotton exchange and Masons building

More along our walk
A Lion fountain in a garden enclosed by a beautiful iron fence. Each segment of fence has a circular picture of someone improtant.

This is one of those pictures in a segment of fence. This particluar one is of Benjamin Franklin.
The back of some of the buildings by the river.

2 comments:

Amazing_Grace said...

Savannah is lovely. My uncle and aunt lived there right where they filmed Forrest Gump on the park bench. Right behind his shoulder is their house! LOL!

Vanessa said...

Grace I can't believe it. We bough chocolate from the chocolate tree in beaufort?? I think. It was good and expensive but fun.