Friday, July 25, 2008

My grocery bags

Ok here they are. Please don't laugh as they are my second attempt at sewing at all. I never took a class. As a matter of fact my dh had to show me how to thread the sewing machine and figure out the bottom part(what is that second thread thing under there anyway??) Other than that I just have been practicing and I am getting better but it is most definetly a work in progress.

I followed the moresebags instructions. Unfortunatly I made the handles out of old jean material thinking they would be great sturdy handles but I found that my machine could barley handle the thickness and then they wanted me to fold it back up and over and sew it again. I understand the concept behind it, making the handle stronger but I don't think my handles need that extra. Plus my poor machine for sure couldn't handle it. So my handles are sort of on the inside of the bag and my stiching is showing and it's not so pretty or straight but the point is it's one less grocery bag to need at the store. One less in a landfill or in the ocean or wherever. And I created it on my own with my two hands , okay the machine gets some credit.
I still want to make the bags preetier with some sayings in fabric paint but for now I just want to make as many as I can to use for future shopping. Then it's embelishment time.

Do you just love my stitching?? I hope this will get better with more practice.
The handles all sorts of wierd. It's funny actually but I love it cause I made it.
The second bag is much prettier. I changed the directions a bit by sewing the way you normally do with the seam on the inside without the french whatever that was called seam I think.
Conner sporting my bag. It is a good size. I thought it would be small at first but when I think about it it works really well.

2 comments:

Amazing_Grace said...

Great job! Now I need to make a few too. :)

Anonymous said...

First off, I love the picture of your son holding the bag! He doesn't look too excited about it! ;)

I think your bag came out great, especially since it is one of the first you have made. The quilt I am making looks terrible (well, the stitching does, anyway) but I consider it good practice. Don't give up and keep on trying and you WILL keep getting better!

The thread thing on the bottom is called a bobbin.