Thursday, July 24, 2008

Making a little dent in my footprint

I am an enviormentalist. I get pretty emotional about some of that stuff, beware. I have seen the grocery bags for sale at all the supermarkets and even saw the cutest ones of all at Target. They were heavy canvas and had great sayings like "I don't do plastic". Alas they were $10 each and I couldn't bring myself to do it especially being the crafty person I am I can totally see doing that myself. I mean really a little craft fabric paint and vola.
Going through our stuff to get rid of excess and put into a yardsale I came upon old curtains. I looked at them and came up with a new use. I mean how more perfect do I want it. All I have to do is rip a few seams, cut and sew. Yeah it sounds oh so simple and yet I am terrified since I have very limited sewing abilities. But I can do this I can.
Googling came up with this great website. I know there are more but this one is pretty good.

http://wisdomofthemoon.blogspot.com/2008/01/cheap-easy-fabric-grocery-bags.html

A while back I also saw the idea of using old t-shirts to make grocery bags out of. What an intersting way to use up old t-shirts that you love but have outgrown. You could even line them if there are a couple of wears which would be a great idea anyway since cotton will wear out quite quickly. Good ol Martha has a great video for it here it is.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=37b1b744dd165110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&xsc=eml_crd_2008_04_16

So I'm off to attmept my bit at making less of a footprint on earth. I will of course share the pictures with you guys and involve my kids to make it an impromptu educational lesson. Great idea huh??
After alot of hassle I got better bag directions here and simpler too. Plus all sorts of facts and stuff to share with hs'ers.

http://www.morsbags.com/


Vanessa

8 comments:

Amazing_Grace said...

I saw those at Target too, but alas they were too expensive. Staples has some that I might buy because I do not have a sewing machine. The grocery store in Florida called Publix is going without plastic bags soon and you have to bring your own.

I can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

Vanessa said...

Grace,
I think I have been somehow blocked from your blog????
I hope to have them done and the pictures up by the weekend or the end of. Thanks
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

I just bought some from Meijers, they sure are handy. I have been using them for library books and all kinds of things. These were 5.00. I wish I were talented enough to make them.

angela

thanks for visiting my blog for the contest.

Vanessa said...

Oh boy you should see it. It's halerious. I can't sew worth much but they are mine so there.

Angela I really like your blog alot, neat stuff there. good to co to.
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

good day bros. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that particular make. The prices for the sneakers are all over 300 dollars on every page. But completely I bring about this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm really into shoes and I was digging for that exact brand. The prices seeking the boots are around 240 pounds on every page. But completely I base this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi fellas. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging for the sake of that meticulous make. The prices due to the fact that the shoes were around 340 pounds on every page. But definitively I bring about this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging as far as something that particular brand. The prices seeking the velcros were around 330 bucks on every page. But definitively I bring about this site selling them for half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what is your opinion?