Monday, September 8, 2008

Co-op

I found a great little group just 30 min. west of me, ok my friend Kathy found it. The point is that this group meets for park days and puts together a co-op that we managed to get into. I must admit I wasn't sure I would get in as there was a waiting list but we got in and I was so excited.

The mom's I have been so sweet and great to get to know and have varying degrees of ages among their children. Best of all the group has alot of boys my boys' ages which is really great and we have enjoyed getting to know them and building new friendships.

Our first day of class will be Friday and here is the schedule.

1st hour -criminal science

2nd hour- science activities

3rd hour- understanding space

I am running the supply closet and co-teaching in the science activity class(2nd hour) and sewing class (3rd hour). I must admit it was selfish of me to help teach in the class, sewing class, when my sewing skills are still a work in progress.

The science class is being taught by my great friend Kathy who has come up with amazing ideas. She decided to do the classes based on the 5 senses theme. MY kids love science experiments and I believe they learn alot on just about any experiment but when you tie it together I think it helps the kids grasp a few concepts even better.

So the hunt is on for science experiments that

1. don't take hours

2. don't cost a fortune

3. is geared towards 4-6th grade

The problem comes in that two of our boys are in 7th grade and we are fairly sure that there will be some 3rd and some 7th graders. This leads to problems because now we need tomake sure the experiments don't bore the older kids and that they aren't way over their heads too. Plus this all needs to correlate to the 5 senses.

So what did I do?? I went to the library and stocked up on all sorts of books. Yes I came out with more then I went in with. There were some really neat things there that I thought were very usable. I will share what we came up with soon and of course all the fun pictures.

Vanessa

No comments: