Thursday, September 4, 2008

Happenings this week

For our Units I want to cover

_Sand Dunes National park
_Ft. Sumter
_Ft. Pulaski
_Dolphins
_Loggerhead turtles
_Ocean
_Sheldon Church
_Lighthouses
_Charles town landing
_Airplanes
_Early American history
_Beach
_International Town

At least that is what I have so far. I think it will be a work in progress but this is most definitely going to keep me busy for a while. I tend to try for a across the curriculum approach so that we don't have to utilize the traditional textbooks for a majority of our curriculum. We are currently working on the Ocean and Early Americans. Come to think of it I may need to break down Early american history a bit. That way I can check it off.
I came home with a huge stack of books for each of these to cover.

For our Ocean Unit I got

Oceans by Adele Richardson
Where Am I? by Moira Butterfield
Oceans by Anna O'Mara
I wonder why :The sea is salty by Anita Ganeri
Oceans for every kid by Janice VanCleave
The Ocean by Mel Higginson
World books Young Scientist: Planet Earth. Water
The Voyager's Stone by Robert Kraske
Waves, tides and currents by Daniel Rogers
DK Eyewitness books: Ocean
Bill Nye the Science guy' Big blue ocean
DK Online: Ocean by John Woodward
Dk Eyewitness: Seashore (video)
National Geographic Deep sea dive (video)

For Our History/Early American History
We are in the Indian/inuit/cliff dweller phase

Living with the Eskimos by Bernard Planche
The Cheyenne by sally Lodge
Arctic Memories by Normee Ekoomiak
Indians of the Arctic and Subarctic
The Pueblo by Mary Englar
Pueblo Storyteller by Diane Hoyt-Goldsmith
Eskimo Boy by Russ Kendall
Ultimate Field trip by Susan Goodman
Indians of the Plateau and great basin by Victoria Sherrow
Ancient Indians of the southwest by Alfred Tamarin
Southwest Indians by Mir Tamim Ansary
A Walk in the tundra by Rebecca Johnson
Children of the midnight sun by Tricia Brown
Indians of the Southwest by Lisa Sita
Native Crafts by Maxine Trottier
The Apache Indians by Bill Lund
the Iroquois Indians by Bill Lund
the Navajo by Therese DeAngelis
The Cherokee by Barbara McCall
Indian Handcrafts by C. Keith Wilbur

We are doing introductions and such and I can't wait to show you some of the work we have been doing and share some of the neat finds online and on land (wink). Of course if there are any things that you would like to share to make these units even more special please do so. I am considering two field trips to end these units one is very likely to the Auarium and the other I'm not so sure about to a Native American Reservation. (my reservations are 1. not sure where or how far one is 2. I don't want the kids to think of it as a zoo if you kwim)

Vanessa

2 comments:

Amazing_Grace said...

Goodness, homeschooling is rather overwhelming for me or is it just because I'm lazy? LOL!

Ganeida said...

We did some marine biology last year & there is some great stuff on~line. Unfortunately I scrapped the links but we enjoyed ourselves soo much. :)