Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Jackpot

For Labor day a friend and I head 45 min. north to hit a few good thrift stores that I know of from my days of living there. We lucked out as everyone was having a good sale and we were on the hunt for good books to build libraries for our children. We went to
Goodwill
Salvation Army
Arc
I spent a total of $68.50. I walked away with 116 books. I even needed a box at Goodwill and felt like I was robbing them. I figured out how much I roughly spent on each book at the different stores to see where I got the best deal.
The Salvation Army wins with $0.30 per book
Second place goes to Goodwill with $0.49 per book
The ARC was the priciest at $0.96 per book
At goodwill I found some really cool Old Classics that were just amazing. They have definitions on the side of the story for the harder words or words that only apply to that particular story. I should take a picture for you. I am trying to read Classic Stories to the boys this yr. I found some workbooks called Math Mania that have fun activities related to math. I think they will work nicely for the boys especially for Conner. I found each of the kids books that I think they will enjoy. Austin got some books on skateboarding. Conner got yet more Magic Schoolhouse books and a book with some old stamps in it. Colin got several cookbooks to replace the one he lost when our basement flooded and a couple of survival story books. I managed to bag several classics's like
20,000 leagues under the sea
huckleberry fin
Paul Bunyan
Daniel Boone
The yearling
The black stallion
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The casebook of Sherlock Holmes
Heidi
Oliver twist
Grimm's fairly tales
the secret garden
are just a few of the fantastic books I found. The most amazing part is I found 3 German books and 1 dutch book. Dutch is very closely related to German, close enough for a German to probably get along just fine there without too much trouble. I was amazed and happy to provide my kids with these books. We were gone for the entire day. We planned on half the day and time just got away from us.

These are my stacks.
The classics with the definitions on the side. Such a neat find.
I really found some great books and for such a bargain.

Here are the German books I found.
I feel like I hit the jackpot. But overspent my hs budget for this month. I firmly believe that if I surround my kids with great books then they will read more. Of course I hope that will happen.
Vanessa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! How fabulous! I would be in heaven - I would just stack those every where in the house just so I could smile every time I looked at them. What great deals you found. Good for you Vanessa. Your boys will have so much research material. Just imagine - you only spent $68 for your school books this year as far as literature/reading material. Congratulations! You should find a frugal/thrifty blog and share your finds. :)

Good Job!

Amazing_Grace said...

WOW! And most of them are in very good condition! :)

Anonymous said...

I love books, especially old ones! What a great find!

Vanessa said...

Grace, Yes I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of some of the books especially the older ones. Some were in pristine condition.
Randi, I am really getting into old books and finds. I love antiqueing, although funds prevent me from doing so often.
Vanessa.
P.S. I am really proud of the German books.

Mrs. Darling said...

Ach you are making me covet! I love love love books!!!