Monday, September 22, 2008

Yum&my Math

M&M good
This math is great, mom!

Graphing& probability
addition & subtraction
Multiplication & Division too
What is the probability of getting brown?
What is the probability of getting green?
How many more blue are there than yellow?
What is the mean, mode and mediun?



Last week we went to the library and I happened upon M&M math. Hmmm I thought to myself I wonder if this is any good and the kids will like it. I can say for certain that the kids were looking forward to their math lesson. They really couldn't wait. At first I thought that this was a bit above their level but the more I got into it the more I realized all the math it encompassed. There are a range of math lessons in this tiny book. Basic addition,subtraction, multiplication and division are there. But there is also graphing and probability. If you look past all that you can even add some other neat things in there that will make math lessons of all kinds. The best part is having your kids excited about math and not being able to wait till you get to the lesson.
We somehow ended up at the library again and I got the hershey fractions as well. I liked it too but not nearly as well as the m&m one. We still enjoyed it and it was a fun way to look at fractions and cover some good concepts like improper fractions, mixed numbers, lowest terms/reducing, what fractions are the same as others when you do reduce them, what whole numbers or one looks like as a fraction among other great math concepts.

Our candy bar vs theirs

Time to "open" to your lesson

One whole, 1/1, or 1

Breaking it apart. There are 12 pieces so one whole can be 12/12

Kenai helps with the lesson? He smelled the chocolate and wanted some so he came to sit and see if he can snatch any chocolate. (chocolate is poisonous to your dog, DO NOT give them any)

Breaking down some fractions

One last fraction and it's time to eat

Vanessa

4 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

What a cute idea! M and M's would make any Math fun!

Vanessa said...

The kids love it. Even Austin who is going to be 13 soon.
Anything that makes our learning more fun is what I love to do.

Anonymous said...

Did you eat the M & M's? I hope you did!

Vanessa said...

Kathy,
of course. Well the kids did anyway. I am still trying to loose weight.
Vanessa