Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Our Penguin Lapbook/Unit study

We finished our Penguin Unit study. I am so proud of the boys. They did very well. I learned something along the way, pre-cutting and pre-folding saves time during school and lets my boys learn more with the added benefits of no whining about having to cut and fold. They hate this and I swear you would think I killed them. Here are some shots of what we did.


The Front cover of Colin's Penguin Lapbook

The Lapbook open to the first page. I had to make extensions on both the top and bottom and it worked liek a charm. We have penguin pictures in the middle. Vocabulary on the right side.

The bottom extension pulled open. At the top is the food chain of penguins. What is a penguin? mini book and egg facts mini books at the bottom.

This is the top extension open and partial picture of whats underneath We have 'where do penguins live' mini book. Illustrasion of penguin anatomy- labeled
This is the main folder and what is underneath all the extensions. We have several mini books. Some of them are 'what I learned about penguins', 'penguin life cycle', antartica facts' and penguin eggs.

This is the penguin lapbook open with all extensions. The following are some of the mini books up close and open. They wehre really neat.

We labeled parts of the world with the corresponding number to where penguins live.
Here are some different types of penguins and pictures of them. We had all of them and their names. I never knew there were so many. I honestly thought they just had one kind. Apparently I am wrong and there are 17 types.
this neat little book gives facts on what is a fish, mammal and bird. Then asks what category a penguin falls into.
A bird of course.
This is the cutest little book. I actually was able to use some cross stitch floss to bind together and form an actual little book .
the front cover of it. The boys will be working on their "Penguin Adventure" stories for the remainder of the week. I hope to post them when they are done.
Still empty, it even has spots for pictures.
Some other basic questions on penguins like do penguins have fur? No they have feathers. The mini book giving facts the boys learned along the way. I was amazed at what they remembered. I loved that Conner used three of our spelling words , the hard ones.
He used regurgitate and tobogganing.





















3 comments:

S.J. Murphy said...

What an adorable lapbook!
Sara

sheena said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun learning all about penguins. We are about to do these same 2 free lapbook kits. I am new to lapbooking and wasn't sure how to put together some of the mini books. Your pictures really helped me to figure out how everything goes together. I can't wait to get started with the kids. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Do you have a electric copies of the lapbook pages ?

If so would love them :)