Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Our Trip to Denver

Going to Denver takes us 2 hours, minimum. As it is always such a drive I generally make it worth my while. So I packed our day in figuring I would play things by ear as we go to see if everything still fits. Here is our Itenirary
6:00 Get up and ready. Pack the Car
7:00 Leave for denver
8:00 Stop in Castle Rock for breakfast
9:00 Arrive in Denver and go to the Skatepark
11:15 Go to the mint, find parking
11:45 Be at the mint
12:00 tour of the Mint
12:30 tour over, head for the gift shop
1:00 Go back to the skatepark for a picnic lunch
1:30 Go to the Aquarium
3:00-3:30 Leave for home so we avoid rush hour in denver
4:ish Castle Rock Shops for a bit of browsing
5:ish Colorado Springs, Get some dinner
6:00 Time to go home

7:00 FINALLY home

The trip to the skatepark was a smashing success. This park is huge and a skateboarder's dream (at least to me but hey I don't have the slightest clue about skateboarding). The kids played here for about a couple of hours. Austin especially loves this as he is the skatboarder in the family.

Here come my handsome boys (yes I most certainly am biased, and proud of it :))

Austin practicing his "Olley"(yesh, I hope I spelled that right)

My babies in one big "bowl", honeslty it looked like a dry pool to me. But again I know nothing aobut skatboarding


Finally we make it to the Mint. You are not allowed to take pictures otherwise I would have happily supplied them. But we learned alot and were able to see alot of the things we had been learning aobut in our unit study on Money. Our tour guide was funny in a corny sort of way, but it was at least not boring. We also learned that in our study we were missing a "working Mint". It was West Point and deals with mostly gold and stuff. We did buy some stuff in the gift shop and then headed back to the skatepark for our picnic lunch. Then it was off to the aquarium.



The Outside

This was cute. Conner can be such a sweet and humourous child, when he's not busy being evil. (sigh)

The tanks are huge and alot curve along the cieling a bit.

This was after the Flash flood display. Austin said: Mom what is a flash flood? so we watched and I said that is a flash flood its alot of water that comes all at once and creates a flood in a flash. I felt a bit silly but he honestly didnt know and so it was a good learning moment, among lots this day.

This lady was so sweet and talked to the boys for almost a half hour. We learned about eels, and sharks and tanks and how much room you need to sustain them and boy the list goes on. And my boys listened attentively the whole time. I was so proud.

These jelly fish were brand new and pretty much the last exhibit. We watched the sharks get fed, this happens on Monday, wedensday and friday. It takes 24 hours for sharks to digest their food. The boys loved how they attacked the "kill" and tried ripping the fish appart. One even came up close to show us his food.

Our day was very filled and I am exhausted. We will spend some time tomorrow on what we did and what we learned and such. We had a great day.

1 comment:

S.J. Murphy said...

so sorry..i clicked on the wrong entry for comments to fieldtrip..oops!
I love the pictures! This looks like such an educational and fun field trip.
Sara