Friday, February 1, 2008

What are my limits?

We are on Day 7 of our Penguing Lapbook. Today we are discussing different penguins and I had put together pictures and basic facts concerning penguins. Some of our mini books were pre-done thanks to some wonderful moms (sigh, I will learn to do this eventually, mabey when they are grown). The ones I had only covered six penguins. In a moment of inspiration I located pictures of the other penguin types and the basic facts like where they live, how tall they are and how much they weight. Unfortunatley this meant we needed to make the mini books . Now up to this point I had precut and folded just about all the books. This took some time during which I was glad that I had taken the effort to do this so we could concentrate more on learnning about penguins than making the mini books.
So this is how it went.
Me: We have to make mini books for the rest of the pictures and then put the basic facts about each penguin in each book.
Boys: Graon
Conner: (big round eyes) We have to cut?? (Groan some more and of cours a hint of eye rolling.)Why do we have to cut?
Colin starts happily cutting without another word.
Conner throws up his hand states: I cant do this, How are we supposed to do this.
Me: (mildly irritated, I mean they didnt appreicate that I precut everything else) Fine, I will help you.
We cut and fold and tape.
Colin still no fussing (sigh, why cant they all behave like this?)
Conner get another sheet of paper and so I start to help colin since he is being so pleasant.
Conner actually say ( actually chukkling now about it, not at the time) Why are you folding for him? Mom I need your help, I cant do this.

The point is Conner is very lazy and I am completley unsure of how to fix this. The other point is I was frustrated and saw that I made something fun into something that was alot of work. I felt like I had destroyed Conner wanting to learn about penguins. The Penguin book was his idea.
I now know it works much better when I predo alot of the cutting and folding as it leaves more time for learning. It leaves the frustration out of our day as well.

No comments: