Friday, February 22, 2008

Changing curriculum

We started hs last yr. I just didn't send my boys back to school after summer. Austin was in 5, Colin in 4th and Conner in 3rd. I was the typical first yr hs mom I worried about doing it all and missing something and leaving the dreaded gaps. So we signed up with k-12. We were pretty excited when we got our packages until we opened them all and the boys looked at the stack of books with big eyes probably thinking I had completly lost my mind if I thought we would complete all this in one yr. During this time we put our house on the market and there was the constant cleaning and leaving to show our property. This set us back and to this day I don't know how we finised it all.

So this yr originally I wanted to do it on our own, but caved to half time when it was offered. I kept art which the boys love and Language Arts as I thought it is a good program. Although I still think k-12 is a good program we are still way too stressed about getting it all done. There are alot of components in my view that could be merged. So we will finish the yr out but that's it. NO more. It is too stressful for us and doesn't work with my family.

So now I must hunt down a good grammer program for my boys that doesn't have endless writting. We tried Easy Grammer for a bit and we didnt get it so I thought we could give it another go and if it still didnt work I would have a backup plan B,C and D. So a-huntin I will go to find the program I think will work for us.
Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Nice to find you and thank you for the comment. I saw your penguin lapbook. It looks great! Lapbooking is so fun but it really can be time consuming!

Glad to see you decided to homeschool! Hope you are enjoying the journey!

S.J. Murphy said...

Wow! You have done superb continuing on as your house was on the market too! That is a full time job keeping it ready to show not to mention a full time job homeschooling 3 dc too.
Keep up the great work...it will get better! :)

Darla said...

Here are two gentle but effective approaches to grammar, spelling, language arts, writing, poetry, narration, dictation and copywork. The best part is that it is easy for mom.

Both programs follow a Charlotte Mason Method.

1. Learning Language Arts through literature. There are samples of the program that you can look at here.
www.commonsensepress.com

Some people don't enjoy the book studies but it is really neat the way they combined dictation, narration and copywork along with spelling grammar and language arts lessons. It is simple for mom and mostly easy for the kids. They do sneak in some writing assignments as well. :) It is a gentle approach.

If you would rather follow a book. Try Total language Plus book studies. It combines all of the above only you start by reading a book there are lots to choose from.
http://www.totallanguageplus.com/