Thursday, May 15, 2008

Troll Snot and Silly putty

My boys love science experiements. Last summer we enrolled in Hogwarts Summer Correspondence School. I love this idea, it was fun the boys loved getting the owls and we were able to do school without the boys realizing it. During this time on of their favorite things was making Troll Snot (flubber/slime whatever you call it). Colin asked please can we make some more and I had the ingredients on hand so why not.

I had to hunt down a recipe as I lost our old computer and the recipe on it in "the flood" ( I always laugh when the boys say it like that.).The first recipe we tried didnt' turn out correct so I found another and it works. We also made Silly Putty since the recipe was there. I can't believe the ingredients. It is so simple and they charge an arm and a leg for something that costs next to nothing to make, It's Crazy. So here they are:


Troll Snot
1/4 c White Glue
1 1/4 c water, divided
1 tbsp. Borax- found in the laundry detergent aisle of your grocery store
food coloring
Add one tbsp Borax to one cup warm water. Stir till completely dissolved.
Make a 50% water 50% glue solution by taking 1/4 cup each and mix thoroughly.
Add equal parts borax solution to equal parts of the glue solution. ( Half cup of each will make a cup of slime)
Add a couple of drops of food coloring and mix.
If slime is too sticky add a little more borax. If slime is too slippery, add a little more white glue solution.

Silly Putty
1 tbsp. White Glue
1/2 tsp. Epsom Salts
1/2 tsp. Water
( I can't believe that's it)
In a small cup, put 1/2 tsp. Epsom salts and 1/2 tsp water. Stir till salt is all or mostly dissolved. Add one tbsp. Glue to another small cup. Add Epsom salt water to the glue and stir. When putty has formed, experiment with it on waxed paper. Store in ziploc Bag or container with lid.
Note: We found that if you made the water really warm/hot the salt would dissolve much quicker and it didn't alter the Silly Putty at all.
Reading the instruction.

Colin looks so cute in this , he makes the greatest faces. Sometimes its fun just to watch him. I think he had a problem with the glue coming out so slow.

Conner made a smart decision and took the top off the glue, this went much faster.

Mixing it,looks good so far.

Conner squishes and it feels funny.

Silly Putty????

Colin try's it out.

Turtle sniff's the Silly Putty. He is always so helpful.

Colin made two batches one plain and one green.

6 comments:

Kathy_in_Colorado said...

We have made this and my experience has been that only Elmer's Glue works well for this. I bought it by the gallon at the Teachers supply store. One tip, it does stick to wood floors and carpet and could possibly stain and not come out.

Vanessa said...

ooh, good tips. thanks I really like my hard wood floors so I don't want that to happen.
I will have to go back to the teacher store soon and stock up. The kids love this stuff.
Vanessa

Vanessa said...

ooh, good tips. thanks I really like my hard wood floors so I don't want that to happen.
I will have to go back to the teacher store soon and stock up. The kids love this stuff.
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.blogsplosion.com/?u=videosealban8]Any DVD Converter Professional 3.5.3[/url] [url=http://www.blogsplosion.com/?u=videosealan2]Xilisoft iPod Video Converter 3.1.39.0809b[/url]
1Click DVD Copy 5.4.3.8 RER MP4 Converter
http://www.adulthostedblogs.com/?u=videoseagatha6 Apex Video Converter Super 6.14
[url=http://www.answerbag.com/profile/1238725]Clone2Go DVD to iPod Converter[/url] [url=http://lecturer.elektrounesa.org/?u=videoseannabel3]Ladybug Mixer Standard[/url]
Afree All Video Converter Platinum 5.3 Free FLV Video Converter
http://blog.bakililar.az/videosealycia3/ Eztoo DVD to WMV Converter 1.0
Allok 3GP Video.Converter 4.7
my icq:858499940385

Anonymous said...

It really pleases me.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely casual concurrence