Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The state fair


My boys with funnel cake and and elephant ear.
MmMMM fair food. Can you smell it?


Yesterday we went to the state fair and had a fantastic time. We looked at the 4-h exhibits and the kids got really interested in alot of the things they could do through this program. We saw cakes kids as young as made that were decorated nicer than I could do, amazing what those kids did. There were rocket's and wood projects, leather work and sewing and all sorts of cooking. Colin was really interested in the cooking/baking stuff and I think he wants to enter that for sure. He also saw something I didn't know they did Lego's! He really wants to do that. Conner liked the leather work and the pies , he wants to enter a pecan pie! Austin liked the rockets and the guns. We will have to see if we can make all this work into our hs. I'm sure it will be a great experience.



They loved all the animals especially the baby animals and we discovered Conner was really good at roping. He only did this one other time before and that was at the last fair last yr. Now he wants to join the ranks of the rodeo folk, hmmm? In this part of the fair I happened upon little newspapers called "Colorado Reader". There were about 3 different ones I found each with it's own topic. These were all produced by the Department of Agriculture. I checked out their website and found they had done these readers monthly since 2005. I think I am going to see about getting them for our hs. They are really neat you can check them out yourself here



Department of Agriculture

There are a bunch of clickable links under Resouces. I would tell you all about them but that would take forever. From the little I have looked at this is an amazing resource that will surley add lots of fun into our hs.

Colorado Reader

these are the readers and it is divided by subject and everything.



We also had a great time with the rest of the fair. The boys caught up with some friends we hadn't seen in a while and we saw a sea lion show and a tiger show. We had fun delicous fair food, I mean would it really be the fair without funnel cake? We walked alot and I milked a cow, it was so easy. A baby cow tried to suck Austin's finger and we saw a baby chick crack it's egg although the boys were too impatient to see it get the shell apart and come out.

Sand sculpture. this yrs theme is Politic's.


Sand shack. This ride is reminds me of "Grease" at the end.

"Tell me about it, stud"

Conner on Bumber Cars

That big swing dragon thing


The boys with a Robot that walked around

Colin eats his turkey leg, mmmmmm we love those turkey legs.

The sea lion show.

Conner ropes him a cow?? He did so well they didn't believe him when he said this was only his second time doing this.


One of the magnificent creatures at the Tiger show

Vanessa

3 comments:

Amazing_Grace said...

WOW! Your state fair looks like a real good one! :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm..... now I'm going to go look up our funnel cake recipe. I'm craving it now. It looks like the boys had a blast! How fun!

Damama T said...

Looks like great fun! I miss those days with my boys. Thanks for sharing your good time with us. It sure brought back lots of memories for me!