Saturday, November 22, 2008

Does it count?

For a few days we took our non carved pumpkins and baked them, cut off the flesh, ran them through my kitchen aid(I love this machine) grinder and then put them in thin towles to squeeze the juice out. then we weighed 16 oz portions and froze them. I had wanted to can them but only have the pressure canner, which I have yet to use. I don't have the water bath one but boy it sure would have been nice to not take up all that room in my freezer with the upcoming holidays and turkeys and what not. The boys all helped although Austin very grudginlly. Conner was my biggest helper he loved the grinder and happily volunteered for this job. It's funny because generally anything that involves work makes conner run for the hills or throw a three year old tantrum. As a matter of fact my niece has sensory integration disfunction and my sister always tells me I should get conner tested because he tends to fall into many of the same categories. Anyway that is a whole nother story. We started with 4 pumpkins and I got 11 16oz containers in the freezer. I still have one pumpkin to go. Can I count this for school? and what is it considered other than cooking which is an elective?
Pumpkin puree is very messy affair





My work space

The finished product before freezing. I even saved the seeds to roast.


I hosted game day for our hs group and decided it was too messy of a job and took too long so I didn't finish it that day but I intend to this weekend, as matter of fact I should probably be doing that now. At game day we played this strange game called Quelf. Have you heard of it? It's not our game so I hadn't and it was so strange there didn't seem to be ryme or reason to it. There is no strategy so really no way you can cheat. I would explain it to you but that would be hard so I will give you a couple of examples. For one card you will need to choose from two categories say candy bars or movies that won an academy award and everyone goes around and names one until you get to a person that can't name another one. On another card you will need to hold your lip and say the card in a random way. Another card may make you act something out in alternative dance. Let's just say it was a strange game but we really enjoyed it and the kids are asking if we can get it. Hmm mabey Christmas?



I made my favorite Tiramasu cake for game day. Once upon a time I used to get recipe cards in the mail and they made several binders. I never did get them all but I have quite a bit and this is one of their recipes that I made once and I was hooked. I promised I would share the reicpe so here it is.

For the cake:

1 package (18 1/4 oz) white cake mix with pudding

1 tsp instant coffee

1 cup strong brewed coffee

1 TBlsp coffee liqueur or espresso


For the filling:

1 container(8 oz)mascrapone cheese

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

2 TBsp coffee liqueur or espresso


For the frosting:

2 cups whipping cream

1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

2 TBsp coffee liqueur or espresso


For the garnish:

cocoa powder

Chocolate curls


Making the cake

Preheat ove to 350. Grease three 9 inch round cake pans. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Divide two thirds of batter between 2 pans. Stir instant coffee into remaining batter, pour into rmaining pan. In measuring cup, combine brewed coffee and coffee liqueur;set aside.


Making the filling

In a small bowl, using a n electric mixer set on low speed, combine mascrapone, confectioners' sugar and liqueur. Beat just until smooth, Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.


Making the frosting:

In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat cream, confectioners' sugar and liqueur until stiff. Fold 1/2 cup of crem mixture into filling mixture.


Assemling the cake:

Place one plain cake layer on a serving plate. Using a thin skewer, poke holes in cake about 1 inch apart. Pour one thrid of reserve coffee mixture over cake, then spread with half of the filling. Top with coffee-flavored cake layer; poke holes in cake. Pour another third of coffee mixture over the second layer and spread with the remaining filling. Top with remaining cake layer; Poke holes in cake. Pour remaining coffee mixture on top. Spread sides and top of cake with frosting. Place cocoa in a sieve and lightly dust top of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls. Refrigerate at least 30 min. before serving.



Note: You can substitute mascrapone with ricotto but you must make very smooth and it doesn't taste quite the same in my opinion although it is still a heavenly cake. I also substituted chocolate morsels as I don't have a huge chunk of chocolate to make curls from.



Mmmmm. It even looks pretty

See I need to work on getting the sides smoother and the morsels should be chocolate curls.



All the layers of the cake.

a little slice of heaven. MMMMMM





Vanessa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, of course that counts for school! It can be chalked up for math too---all that measuring!

The cake looks wonderful. Did you save some for me? ;)

Vanessa said...

The cake went fast as usual so I am sorry to say there is none left. Believe me though I use any excuse to make this cake it is so wonderful. So give me a good reason such as say your birthday just came and went???
Vanessa

Damama T said...

Couldn't the pumpkin thing count for a health class also? Didn't they learn something about nutrition in the process? LOL!

That cake looks yummy. Unfortunately, I don't like that stuff... Hubby, however would eat it all in 2 days! LOL! That is if I'd make it for him. NOT! ;o)