Saturday, March 8, 2008

German Bread

I am originally from Germany. Yes I know I don't have an accent. Anyway in Colorado springs there are about 4 different German stores. One is my favorite-Wimberger. They make a yummy rye bread worthy of any German bakery. Unfortunately I now live almost an hour away from that store. With gas and everything I just can't justify going unless I am up there already for other reasons.

So I looked and found a recipe. I tried it and it turned out terrific. The taste is great but the texture is all wrong. Its a bit too fluffy. The bakery bakes theirs in an old wood oven like at pizza places. I'm curious to know if that is why mine turned out like that. Anyway I couldn't keep my boys away from it. Every time I turned around they had another slice in their hands. They agreed it wasn't exactly like the one we were used to. Now to figure out the cost difference. I estimate it cost me about(roughly estimating here) $1.50 to make this bread that is not counting the electricity if you are really on the frugal bandwagon. Maybe my hubby can figure that out for me as it is way beyond my capabilities. The German store sells this bread for $2.38 (last time I bought it). That is a savings of about $0.88. But because the store is so far from me now it saves on gas too.
Here is the recipe I used.
1 1/8 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 cups white flour (for darker rye, substitute whole wheat flour for up to 3/4 cups)
1 cup rye flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1/4 chopped onions (optional)
2 tbsp active dry yeast
Place all ingredients in bread machine in recommended order on "rise only" or pizza dough cycle. After first rise, remove dough, place on a bread board and punch down. If dough is too sticky, covering your hands or the bread board with corn meal or white flour usually is enough to bring it to the right consistency. If using a bread pan, shape loaf and place it in oiled bread pan. If you have a stone, don't use a bread pan; shape dough into a loaf or ball or as you like and place it on a floured board. In either case slash top with a sharp knife, cover the dough with a tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hr.
Preheat oven (preferably with pizza stone) to 450. The stone makes the bread crustier and gives a better contrast between the crust and the interior crumb.Spritz walls of oven with water twice before putting loaf in.( omit for a less crusty bread)
Bake 30 min at 450 spritzing the oven walls once more after five minutes. Remove and allow to cool on rack.
Note: I didn't use onions or caraway seeds in my recipe,personal preference.


Look how pretty it is. I'm gushing like a new parent. I love baking. My hips hate my baking(lol)

I cut a few slices. I really need a better bread knife. Mine is dull and squishes the bread. This will definitely need an investment for future breads.

Check out the texture. The one we are used to is much more dense. I wonder if Uli will give me the recipe. Hmm doesn't hurt to ask. Oh Uli is the store owner of Wimberger,our family has known her for years.

It wasn't that hard especially since I used my bread machine to knead and rise it. It's almost gone too and its Saturday.

4 comments:

Brandi said...

The bread is beautiful.

I'm not sure what to do about the texture. A little less water may help since you're not adding the caraway seeds. I don't know if they would absorb any moisture or not. Did you try the recipe with the whole wheat flour substituted? WW flour will absorb more moisture and perhaps make a denser loaf.

Vanessa said...

I am still working on the recipe. It was so good though I hate to mess with it. I am going to try the whole wheat substitute next. Thanks for the tips.
Vanessa

Vanessa said...

I am still working on the recipe. It was so good though I hate to mess with it. I am going to try the whole wheat substitute next. Thanks for the tips.
Vanessa

Brandi said...

You're welcome.